Friday, January 9, 2009

It's Snowing in Madrid






I woke up this morning to find that there was over 5 inches of snow outside covering Madrid. Madrileños (people from Madrid) were out running around everywhere and acting like little kids. according to my teachers, snow never sticks in Madrid, so being able to be here while this is happening is awesome. For the first 3 weeks that I am here, I am enrolled in an intensive Spanish class 4 hours a day 5 days a week, and then in February my classes begin--I am taking International Business, International Marketing, Advanced Spanish, and Spanish Cinema, and my program doesn't offer classes on Friday so that everyone can travel on the weekends. It is amazing how beautiful Madrid is, I have yet to see a single piece of trash on the ground for three reasons 1. There are street cleaners on nearly everycorner picking up anything and everything on the ground 2. Every Madrileño takes such great pride in this city that no one dares to disrespect their city by littering 3. There is a trash can attached to every light pole. Another amazing thing that I learned today about Madrid is that everyone who works full time, is guarenteed by the government at least 1 month of paid vacation per year. This translates into roughly 1 vacation day per 11 work days-- maybe my Dad should move his practice here ehh? Anyways, I am attaching some pictures that I took today in el Parque Retiro of the snow so I hope you all enjoy. The first picture of what looks like an angel is actually one of the only sculptures of the devil in the entire world, it is called "The Fallen Angel." Miss you all and hope you are doing well.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you can get a lot of studying done at the local discoteca...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Riley,
    Lauren and I are saying "hi" and hoping that Spain is everything you thought it would be.
    We cooked dinner tonight and made Stever pasta and we made Farro with roasted veggies :)
    Lauren is getting excited and nervous...I'm going to miss her alot!
    Take care and I'll keep in touch with you!!!
    xoxox Rhonna

    ReplyDelete